Have you ever been away from your computer and needed to use remote desktop access to get to your information? Well, there is hope and it comes in the form of software or apps that will allow you to access your computer's desktop via remote desktop access.
When you think about it, having this type of access to your computer can be very helpful especially if you need to access your information on the go. Yes, cloud computing it great to use and I love using it every day. For those who have not made the leap to cloud computing and use a PC, the tips in this blog post are for you.
How Does Remote Desktop Access to Your Computer Work?
According to Search Enterprise Desktop, people use remote desktop capability to do a variety of things remotely, including the following:
- Access a workplace computer from home or when traveling.
- Access a home computer from other locations.
- Fix a computer problem.
- Perform administrative tasks.
- Demonstrate something, such as a process or a software application.
When you use remote desktop access to your computer, it allows you to access important documents on the computer while away from home. This will allow you to stay connected while away from home. Then you can use mobile devices like phones or tablets to access the documents or computers.
Another way that remote desktop access works is by allowing a helpdesk to provide you with assistance with troubleshooting your computer problems. This is normally used by a customer service helpdesk who specialize in having access to their customers' computer to solve software and hardware issues. It's a great way to make it easy for your computer troubles to be solved.
What Software or Apps Can You Use for Remote Desktop Access?
Believe it or not, there are many software programs and apps that will give you remote desktop access such as the ones below:
- TeamViewer: according to their website, it allows you to have remote support and online meetings to your computer via mobile devices or other computers. You will be able to remote control any computer or Mac over the internet within seconds or use TeamViewer for online meetings.
- GoToMyPC: use mobile apps or computers for remote desktop access to your home computers. According to their website, you will be able to access your files, applications and network as if you were sitting right in front of your computer. It’s really that simple.
- LogMeIn: per their website, users worldwide rely on LogMeIn solutions for remote control, file sharing, systems management, data backup, business collaboration and on-demand customer support of PCs, servers, Macintosh computers, smartphones and other connected devices.
What are Some of the Safeguards You Should Have in Place When Using Remote Desktop Access?
One of the ways that Corporate America or some private homes can safeguard themselves is by using a virtual private network (VPN). A VPN is a secure communications link between office and remote workers or computers. It is essentially an extension of a secure office network, using a secure channel within the public internet to connect.
For other remote connection methods including browser-based applications, make sure that the link is securely encrypted as follows:
- Confirm that there is a padlock symbol in the browser window frame, that appears when you attempt to log in or register. Be sure that the padlock is not on the page itself.
- The web address should begin with ‘https://’. The ‘s’ stands for ‘secure’.
- Be sure your Firewall software is up to date and protecting your computer. It safeguards your computer from external access attempts.
- Always log out of remote access sessions when you are done accessing a remote computer.