Outsourcing is the process of delegating your business processes or tasks to external resources outside of your business. Choosing outsourcing can be good for your business because it can free up internal resources to handle more things.
As part of my Thankful31 Motivational Campaign, I can say that I'm truly thankful that I have integrated outsourcing. It has helped me to streamline my business processes and given me more freedom in my business.
How to determine if Outsourcing is for your business?
There are certain things that you should take in consideration when you are determining whether outsourcing is right for your business. Let's take a look at some of the questions you should ask yourself first:
- Is this decision financially sound? Sometimes, depending on the type of business you have, it can cost you more to outsource various tasks.
- Will this decision cause an internal problem? If you are thinking of taking away a current employee's responsibilities or hours in order to outsource a task it may cause more problems than it is helping.
- How comfortable are you with the idea of outsourcing? Some of us are micro-managers by nature and deciding to outsource a task can be a real struggle. There is also some debate about hiring outside of your native country. If this is a problem for you then you should put more thought into the subject.
- Are you willing, especially in the beginning, to spend more time establishing a workflow? Because of things like time difference, family life, and personality conflicts you're going to have spend more time than usual with establishing a workflow that works for the both of you.
What should a business owner have in place for Outsourcing?
- Content Management System – There are many websites that will help you set up a system where you can assign tasks and track the progress. These systems are also great for keeping the lines of communication open and for storing documents that are needed by the entire team.
- Payroll System – Whether you choose to have a content management system that takes care of the payroll end for you or if you have an accountant, a payroll system is a must. Having to deal with different tax forms and tracking the hours worked can get really tricky so make sure that you think this over carefully.
- Policies & Processes – There are always policies or processes that are exclusive to your business. You've become successful because of the way you do things. Therefore it is extremely important to make these easily accessible to your outsourced team.
What should business owners keep in mind regarding Outsourcing?
- Intellectual & Privacy Concerns – In business there is always some concern about your ideas being stolen. The best thing to do is to make sure that you protect yourself and your ideas. There are documents that you can research online and in your local library on how to safeguard your privacy and intellectual property.
- Delays in Delivery – Even when you have been working with someone consistently and you have grown to trust them life can step in and you might not get the assigned task finished on time. When you outsource this tends to happen more often than not because of time zone differences, holidays, and unforeseen obstacles like health issues, death in the family etc.
- Scheduling – Sometimes the best laid plans can end up going bad and you don't get the assigned task finished on time. You have to make sure to take into account all of the things I stated in the previous point when you are scheduling an assignment. As you build a relationship with your outsourced workers this will become less of a problem.
No matter what type of business you may have outsourcing can possibly be the solution that you're looking for. Although it has its pros and cons I have experienced more growth and success because of my decision to outsource. Tell me your thoughts in the comments below.
Want to you join the campaign? Find out more here: http://KimBeasley.com/thankful31/