I've been working from home since 2005 and I have loved it because it has given me the opportunity to live a life of freedom. It's part of my Thankful31 Motivational Campaign because in working from home, I have been able to set my own schedule, travel and even find clients who love working with me virtually from all over the world.
If you work from home, I want to encourage you to also include “me time” in your busy day. Just because you are working from home, it doesn't mean that you can't have time where you are not busy in your business. Take time to read a book, watch a movie or get out and meet with your friends for lunch. Keeping everything balanced in your life is very important when working from home.
How can you get started with working from home?
It is definitely a challenge working from home no matter what your expertise. Here are some tips for getting started:
- First you need to figure out what it is that you want to do. There are a lot of work from home scams, especially online, so really do your research.
- Once you have figured out what you want to do you need to ask yourself some tough questions. Depending on your family situation, you have to figure out if you can afford to work from home. Ask yourself how it will affect your family & finances and if there is a market for your expertise.
- After brainstorming the tough questions its time to do some additional research. You can search online for websites that assist you in working from home like Odesk.com or Fiverr.com . There are also many work from home blogs that can get you started.
- Last but not least take the time to plan. List the activities and commitments that you have daily, then iron out a schedule that shows you how much time you have to commit to your home-based business.
When working from home, what should you have available to be successful?
Unfortunately there isn't a magic formula that can make you successful whether you work from home or otherwise. There are, however, tools that can aid you down the road to success. Here are my top three:
- Internet Access – In today's world having high speed internet access is majorly important to your success. Even if you're selling a physical product you need access to the internet.
- Office Space – Your office space doesn't have to be a physical room. But you do need a place in your home where you can conduct business and it must be a dedicated space. Choose this place wisely because you will be spending a great deal of time there.
- Computer – Even if your business only requires that you use your computer for keeping track of sales it is an essential piece of what you need when working from home. There are so many different types of software, websites and tools that can be utilized to make your job easier via your computer.
What are some of the roadblocks to working from home?
As with anything in life there are risks with working from home. It takes determination, perseverance, and a relentless pursuit of success despite the risks. Here are some of the obstacles you may face:
- Money – Unless you are fortunate enough to already have a client/customer base to start off building an income that can support you will be a slow uphill climb. Even if you planned and saved for this venture you still might run into money problems. The best way to get through this roadblock is to try and budget as tightly as possible until your income is flowing smoothly.
- Health Benefits – In this day in age health care is very expensive. Especially when you're just starting out it's not likely that you will be able to afford the popular health insurance plans. I would recommend you research health insurance for home based businesses. These plans usually have significantly lower fees.
- Lack of Self-Discipline – It is very easy to get distracted when you are at home. You are comfortable in your own home to the point that you might begin procrastinating and making excuses to do things like sleep later. In this case you have to make a point to stay on top of deadlines. You could also get a friend or family member involved to help keep you on track.
The rewards and freedom of working from home can greatly enrich your life. Being able to pursue your dreams is a reward in itself. Although you will face barriers and at times you may feel like quitting remember that the possibilities are endless. Tell me what your thoughts are on this post in the comments.
Want to you join the campaign? Find out more here: http://KimBeasley.com/thankful31/