When you hear the words “getting real online”, what does it bring to mind? Does it cause you to think about how much it will take to show your true self? Or does it make you want to run and hide? “Getting Real Online” means that you are willing to give up “faking it” to truly show who you are and what you are all about regarding your business and personal lives.
For some, this may be easy to do; just by stepping out of self and sharing their inner most secrets with others. Then there are those who would rather not share their innermost secrets because they are very private. Regardless of where you find yourself, “getting real online” is a sign of becoming “radically transparent”.
In the book co-authored by Andy Beal and entitled “Radically Transparent”, it states that being radically transparent means…
“…being open and honest online, admitting mistakes, engaging stakeholders in discussions about you and your brands, and even revealing your internal processes.”
This all sounds simple to do but for those who are very private, being “radically transparent” can be a major overhaul in the way they manage their business and life. To help those of you having a hard time being “radically transparent” online and “getting real online”, below are the first few steps that will help you accomplish this task.
The 10 letters used in the acronym F.I.R.S.T. S.T.E.P.S were chosen to help you remember the “first steps” to “getting real online”.
- Figure out the areas that you have been hiding and determine why you feel that you have to hide them. Then determine what your comfort level is for sharing about these areas.
- Identify why these areas are uncomfortable to you and why you feel that you can not share about them online. Try to understand why you truly feel uncomfortable about these areas as you identify what's holding you back from being “radically transparent” about those areas.
- Research how others have dealt with the same areas that make you uncomfortable. Determine how you can incorporate some of the things they did to deal with “getting real online” by becoming “radically transparent”.
- Start with the simple things then grow from there. Don't feel that you have to run out and do a tell all book about everything single thing that makes you uncomfortable. Take small steps in the beginning and grow from there.
- Teach others what you have learned about “getting real online” so that they too can be free to become “radically transparent”.
- Strategically place yourself in situation that will encourage you to start becoming “radically transparent” online.
- Take chances by volunteering to share your story with others; especially those who may have similar experiences as you.
- Evaluate your progress as you beginning taking steps to become “radically transparent”. This will help you to see how far you have progressed as you continue “getting real online”.
- Persevere through your challenges to be successful at becoming “radically transparent”.
- Stand on the belief that you can be successful as you are “getting real online”. Don't allow anything to get in your way as you free yourself from hiding your true self.
Completing all of the above steps will help you create a firm foundation for “getting real online”.
Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves. ~Dale Carnegie
Now comes the part where you can participate. I want to hear what you have to say about “getting real online” and becoming “radically transparent”. Please scroll down to the bottom of this post and leave your comment as you share how you are becoming “radically transparent”.