A Look at Social Media and Technology For 2014
Out with the old and in with the new, this is a common saying for this time of the year. As this year comes to a close we look forward to new beginnings. This year brought many new trends in social media and technology. Always ever evolving 2014 promises to be just as exciting.
In my business I have found it to be really important to stay on top of the latest innovations in social media and technology. With each new innovation we are able to run our businesses more efficiently and we are no longer locked at our desks. Let’s recap what 2013 has brought us and then we’ll explore the promise that will be 2014.
What’s been hot in social media and technology 2013?
- Social Media – This year saw Google+ explode on the scene with the catapult of Google+ Hangouts app. This video chat tool combines social media and technology in a way that is unique. Accessible from computers, Smartphones and tablets you can video chat with up to 10 people. You are also able to share documents & your screen which takes presentations to a whole different level. This year has additionally seen improvements in the popular social media website, Facebook. With the integration of the Facebook Timeline feature, developers have now made it easier for marketers to use apps like Tabsite and Wildfire to conduct promotions, sweepstakes and giveaways.
- Security – The biggest names in security this year are Avast, Bitdefender and Lookout. Avast is a free app that offers antivirus protection, it scans your apps to let you know what they’re doing and it has a webs shield that scans URLs for malware. Bitdefender has a free and paid version with many similar features as Avast. This app uniquely scans your device when you turn it on and if it detects a malware it automatically deletes it. Lookout is one of the earliest security apps. It has a free and a paid version. In addition to antivirus protection, Lookout also has a locate function, the ability to activate an alarm and the option to track your phone.
Personal – This year social media and technology got really focused on personal level with the addition of Noom and Sleepbot. Noom is a weight loss coach app that allows you to measure out your food in cups and other measurements. Sleepbot is a sleep cycle alarm app that helps you to monitor your sleep schedule.
What’s hot in social media in 2014?
As we move into 2014 let’s take a look at modernization that will be taking place in social media. Here are some of the hottest innovations:
- Social Media TV – This term refers to the union of social media and television. In this coming year we will begin to see more television networks utilizing social media and what the public is posting on social media sites.
- Social Good – In 2014 we will see an increase in using social media and technology to increase the messages and the efforts of non-profits and other community action organizations.
- Flipboard Publishing – This new app allows publishers to share content in a beautiful and interactive platform.
- Google Wallet – This is a mobile payment system developed by Google that allows its users to store debit cards, credit cards, loyalty cards, and gift cards, as well as redeem sales promotions. I can see that Google Wallet will become more integrated into online and offline shopping. Especially since Google Wallet now allows a debit card to be connected to your online account.
What’s hot for technology in 2014?
Technology is sure to have a stellar year in 2014 with many advances and amplification of current technology. Let’s take a closer look:
- Solar Keyboard (Logitech) – This new solar-powered wireless keyboard takes away the hassle that the battery powered keyboards presented. Sleek with 2.4 GHz wireless technology, this keyboard can stay powered for up to 3 months in darkness.
- SmartTVs – This technical advancement integrates computer technology and a television set. Features vary by manufacturer but include video playback via DVR/DLNA, apps & games, and DVR/PVR technology.
- Google Chromecast – Chromecast is a digital media streaming adapter developed by Google. The device, a 2.83-inch dongle, plays audio/video content on a high-definition television by streaming it via Wi-Fi from the Internet or local network.
There are many different innovations to look forward to in social media and technology in 2014. As a business owner I am looking forward to integrating these new additions into my business. Which of these new innovations are you going to try first?
- Google Plus Features
- Top Security Apps
- What is Social TV
- Social Good
- About Flipboard
- About Logitech Keyboard
- What is a Smart TV?