As you continue hearing about Google’s new social media network called Google Plus (Google+ or G+), one can’t help but wonder how it can be used for business. Currently, the environment is set up for personal use only as Google continues to develop the business component of their network. Although it is still in BETA, Google+ comes packed with a lot of power.
What are the basics of Google+
To get started on Google+, the list was created below to help you boost your efforts:
- Make sure that you check your Google Profile to ensure that it is complete with your information. Tell people who you are, what you do, who your ideal client is and who you would like to do a joint venture with.
- Be intent on building relationships to grow your inner circle. By building relationships, you will enrich your experience on G+.
- When sharing information with others, don’t just push out links to your websites. Share relevant news articles or blog post from reliable sources.
- Participate in Google+ Hangouts so that you can get to know other users face-to-face via video, audio, and chat.
- Create circles that are based on topics that will help you organize your G+ friends. Some of the common circle that you should create are: Hangout, Friends, Family, Acquaintances, Celebrities, Clients, and your Team of people.
List of people to follow on Google+:
This is a starter list with a mixture of well know people and those you should get to know. As you add them to your circles:
- Bradley Horowitz (VP Product Development – Google+)
- Chee Chew (Engineer Director – Google+ Hangout)
- Natalie Villalobos (Community Manager for Google+)
- Sarah Hill (Newscaster – Google Hangout during live newscast)
- Mohamed Mansour (Developer – Chrome extension for G+)
- Trey Ratcliff (World traveler & photographer)
- Bob Cleveland (Software Engineer – Google+)
- Michael Mozart (JeepersMedia – YouTube Broadcaster)
- Aliza Sherman (Internet Pioneer, Speaker, and Mobile Marketing Pioneer)
- Lorelle VanFossen (Consultant and trainer with WordPress, social media, and blogging)
- Kim Beasley (Social Media Tool Coach)
Recommended Google Chrome Extensions:
When using Google+ to connect with others via social media, the best browser to use is Google Chrome. In using Chrome, you will have access to several extensions that will give you added functionality when using Google+. Below is a short list of recommended extensions:
- My Hangouts for Google Plus: quickly check to see who is hosting a Hangout and who is participating in the hangout.
- Extended Share for Google Plus: share content from Google+ to Twitter or Facebook
- Usability Boost for Google Plus: This extension improves readability on Google+ and adds some useful features.
- +Photo Zoom: a simple extension providing fast and simple zooming for photos within your Google+ Stream.
- Hangout Auto Try Again for Google Plus: Tired of clicking the try again button for Hangouts on Google+? Then install this extension that will automatically retry for you while you wait to get into your chosen hangout on Google Plus!
- Hangout Pad for Google+ ALPHA: This will allow code collaboration over a hangout.